Monday, August 4, 2008

Arriving...only 7 hours difference.

I made it.  What an interesting last day or so...I am quite messed up on the time since it's 7 hours different, but the lack of sleep on the planes will probably help me adjust.  No problems getting here and I was blessed to be next to a sponsor from a missions trip group going from Chicago to Austria to Romania.  We had a good conversation and he gave me some good traveling tips.

Kosova is very different than I expected.  There are a lot of red brick buildings sitting empty with windows broken out and damage to the structure, trash lines some of the bumpy roads, small cars dart in and out of the lane passing each other and nearly hitting oncoming traffic, and there are people milling around everywhere in the city.  

Pam took me out to dinner tonight at a nice little pizza restaurant and we got to talk a lot about missions, how her and Keith got started, and the people of Kosova.  Ooh, and "Kosova" has the emphasis on the second O...just incase you're wondering. =)

Their vision is to help build the camp and local believers up to where nationals can run this as a retreat center for churches in various cities and villages to use.  Not only would it help strengthen the church body here, but it would also help young believers find each other and hopefully provide spouses who share the same faith, which would keep the church growing!

Well, so far I think it's really neat here and like it already.  We'll be heading up into the mountains tomorrow morning to help with a group from Operation Mobilization that was to arrive up there tonight to help with construction and such.  I'm looking forward to a full night's rest on a bed...well, a sort of fold-down european couch.  Either way, it sure beats a non-reclining airline chair and a mini-square pillow.

No comments: