Brrr! The weather has changed fast, and after a blustery few nights and plummeting temperatures, I think winter has made itself at home here. I feel a little caught off guard! In the past, I didn't mind this transition and even welcomed it because it meant that I got to bust out the sweaters and cute stocking caps. Now, however, since I have been wearing those things, along with long-johns and extra layers most days anyways, I am pretty sure I can't wear any more clothes without starting to look like the Micheline man!
In the midst of the sudden weather change, I have been able to be very thankful for several things....
1. An Irish couple gave me an old heating pad, which goes under my bottom sheet and warms my bed before climbing in.
2. Nalgene bottles, in winters, function better as hot-water bottles for toes.
3. Decaf coffee and hot tea are great in the evenings, not only for my taste buds to enjoy, but also for cold hands to hold.
4. The stuffy 1.5hr bus ride to language class is much more enjoyable when I need to thaw out after the chilly 20 min walk.
5. Visiting other people's homes that already have blazing fires going in their wood stoves.
6. I get around town by walking, which provides plenty of exercise and going fast means keeping warmer, too!
So yes, I do miss central heating, thick carpeting, and a warm car to hop into, but God is good and providing the patience to endure the differences here...as well as others to be an encouragement when that patience is running thin. I'm learning that it's all about making the most of what He has for me here rather than looking back at what I left behind. God has a purpose in everything I experience, every situation I face, and every person I have and will get to know. Nothing catches Him off guard, even if I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment