As we stood in the front yard overlooking the city below, fireworks exploded in the sky, lighting up rooftops for miles out from the hill where we watched. It was pretty impressive. The continuous sound of the cracks and booms echoed against the mountains. Bundled up tight, pocket video camera in hand, I filmed the spectacle in front of me and smiled. Well, I smiled until someone pointed at five small, orange specks that sailed in line up into the blackness and said "Ooh, look...tracer bullets!" Seriously? Do they not know the saying 'what comes up must come down'? It was then that my mind entered lah-lah land as I considered the eulogy that would explain how I died. I'm sure it would say something about why I had moved overseas only to be taken out by a neighbor's tracer bullet, shot off in celebration of a new year, as it returned from the atmosphere. Random. After realizing how silly my thoughts were, I sat back and enjoyed the show. As excited as the people here to ring in a new year, I think our group was even more thrilled to see how God would work in their hearts in 2011. We'll have a long, challenging, and tough year of work ahead of us, but we are ready to dig in and anticipating great things from God. Happy New Year!!
No comments:
Post a Comment