Finally. We have sunshine! After three weeks of cloudy, cold, dreary days, we are looking at a bright forecast...literally. It's funny how a little sunshine and temps above freezing can make my attitude do a 180 and I am suddenly finding more motivation to tackle my 'to-do' list. I think God intended for me to live in a sunny place, but gave me the cloudy days to remind me to cling to Him.
So I'm feeling convicted of several things after reading in Ecclesiastes. First, I take life way too seriously when I get so stressed out about keeping a schedule or meeting expectations. Yes, I agree that there are commitments and responsibilities that aren't very negotiable, but I don't give myself, or others, much room to breath sometimes.
Secondly, I need to be much more generous with my time and resources. No, by American standards, I am not wealthy by any means, but according to 90% of the world, I am rich and very blessed by God. Each time I go to language in the capital, I pass several gypsies sitting by the bus station in their tattered, dingy clothes and beat up cardboard box set out in front as their tired, hungry eyes look up at you walking by. I'm torn. A part of me wants to give them a handful of change, but knowing that the money usually goes to cigarettes or alcohol, it's hard to know what to do. I need to put something together to give them.
Lastly, I am reminded that I cannot control how things happen in my life. Yes, many times I would like to think that if I pray hard enough and keep my eyes open, I can steer my future in the direction that I want to go...the whole husband, 2.5 kids, and a white picket fence thing. It's funny how frustrated I can get when I see others, especially non-belivers, that seem to be there and so happy. I wonder why they deserve that when I, a child of God, seem to continually be getting the shaft. This is when knocks me up-side the head and reminds me that no matter my circumstances, I have REAL joy, peace, and hope in Him. He knows the desires of my heart and I trust Him with those.
To sum it up, my goals this spring are to be more flexible with my time, more generous with my resources, and more trusting with my future since it all belongs to Him.
2 comments:
You may have to remind me of these lessons quite often over the coming weeks!
It seems God is reminding us of the same things :)
Post a Comment